Sunday, August 11, 2019
Nimbatus: The Space Drone Constructor (Steam)
Nimbatus allows the player to build and test a drone in a sandbox environment by adding things like engines, fuel cells, and guns onto a “drone core”. Each component can be bound to a keyboard key, so if you want the “A” key to make your ship turn left, you better bind all the right wing engines to that “A” key.
Needless to say building a drone which functions properly takes some experimentation.
Once your drone is built, there is a number of games available. There is a racing mode, a sumo shoving match game, and a story driven campaign with a galaxy exploration map. Ultimately the core gameplay boils down to building a drone to solve a task, or be the best at it.
Achievements are not supported at this point. It seems a little weird that the game doesn’t even have easy achievements or grinding achievements, but I have never been much of an achievement hunter, so I didn’t really mind. The game is currently in early access, so these could be added later.
It does, however, support the Steam Workshop where custom built drones can be downloaded. Browsing the workshop feels a lot like walking through a science fair. It’s really cool to look at the other projects and see what people have come up with, but I’m not really seeing anything that would extend the overall game play like a traditional mod would.
As for the graphics, I’m going to come out and say it. The drones look bad. The parts are bland looking colored shapes which come together to make a giant cluster of bland colored shapes.
If you played “The Incredible Machine” as a kid, you might really like Nimbatus. It’s quirky, easy to get into, and piloting a well made drone feels very rewarding. However, I have to say it. 20 bucks is a lot of cash for what you get at this point.
Games I have reviewed for Emerald Rangers in order of best to worst:
Nimbatus is a fun game with plenty of room for creativity. It doesn’t quite have the infinite adventures Fatal Labyrinth has, but it’s easily the best indie Steam game I have reviewed for Emerald Rangers so far.
Nimbatus: The Space Drone Constructor
Treasure Hunter Simulator
- ► 2020 (97)
- Green Phoenix - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back...
- Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger Ep. 1: The Space Pirates A...
- Yeah, This is Modded: Buwico 2 in 1 Metal Aluminum...
- Dorke and Ymp (PC, Steam) Review.
- Green Phoenix - Building Better Backstories I
- Uchuu Keiji Gavan Episode 15 Review: Very Importan...
- 10 Ways Youtubers Get Away With Stealing Videos
- Yeah, This is Modded: Bionik Quickshot grips for X...
- Alien Rampage (PC, Steam) Review.
- Red Prime Shard: Dora and the Lost City of Gold - ...
- Green Phoenix - Star Wars: A New Hope Review
- VR Troopers Episode 12 Review - No One's Friend
- Battle Fever J Ep. 1: Assault!! Run to the Ballpar...
- Fenris Talks About: Five Detectives in Video Games
- 16 Classic Games That Are Coming To Steam. RETRO! ...
- Hostage: Rescue Mission (PC/Steam) Review
- Nimbatus: The Space Drone Constructor (Steam)
- Red Prime Shard - Splatoon 2 Final Fest (Splatfest)
- Green Phoenix - The Machete Order
- Iron Commando (Steam) - Review
- News: E3 Expo Accidentally Leaked over 2,000 YouTu...
- Chibi Volleyball (Steam) Review.
- Uchu Sentai Kyuranger Space 1: The Super Stars of ...
- Green Phoenix - Violet Evergarden Review
- ▼ August (24)
- ► 2018 (101)