Back when I was working on my Balto review, I was suddenly struck by a bout of inspiration regarding a new countdown. Dogs have long been a quintessential part of human culture and media, owing to their long-standing relationship as "Man's Best Friend". Growing up, I certainly remember seeing many amazing animated canines that helped to transform me into the dog person that I am today (even if I have no plans to have a pet dog of my own).
Whether they talk or not, are protagonists or simple side characters, many dogs have become iconic or much beloved members of their respective franchises. There are obviously far too many examples of great cartoon dogs to ever be effectively condensed or listed in a single article without it being overwhelmingly long. So I decided to do just a general list of some particularly standout dogs from my childhood and early teenage years.
With that in mind, I decided that today's article should be slightly lighter fare than usual and a just short, yet sweet tribute to cartoon canines. So without any further ado, let's present 8 Amazing Animated Canines.
- Any canine species is welcome on the list, as long as they are dog-like in their appearance and referred to as a dog in-universe. This means that humanoid dogs are not going to be listed.
- Anthropomorphic dogs are allowed so long as they don't break the first rule; so talking dogs are cool.
- Artificial dogs will also count, as long as they exhibit dog-like characteristics and a similar function in narrative. If they could be replaced by a real dog and change very little of the overall plot of the series, then they are good to go.
- All dogs are listed not according to any particular order, just a generalized list.
- Only a single representative for any one franchise. If a franchise has multiple dog characters, I can only pick one.